Thursday 29 May 2014

As I am writing this I am eating a raw cookie dough ball. And it's good*

Just wanted to drop by with a recipe, if you can call it that. Noodles.
We make noodle at least once every two weeks because it's convenient and cheap and we usually use what's in the fridge: veggies, add a boiled egg/or a fried one, if you have some leftover chicken meat or ever cold meats, some grated cheese or feta cubes... It goes with everything.
Besides the things you have in your fridge you'll need a few ingredients from where to start.
Soy sauce, ginger + garlic, noodles(4 packages/ 1 per person) - cheap ones from Kaufland at 0.99 ron

I start off with garlic and ginger. It's the perfect combination. Sometimes you can add onions, very small pieces and it can work very well too. You either mince very well the garlic cloves(1-2 medium size) and the piece of ginger (3 cm root) or better yet, you can use a fine grater.
I heat up some oil in a fairly large pan (here a wok would be the best choice) and add the garlic and ginger and stir at high heat, keeping an eye on them that is doesn't burn. Fry them a bit, 30 seconds and then add your veggies.

The veggies have to be sliced before even preparing the garlic and ginger so you have them on hand. I use finely slices cabbage, carrot sticks - also finely sliced, spring onions, some peppers, some zucchini, any veggies you have and need to use up.
Let the veggies fry, also at high heat, but stirring constantly. This is why you need a big pan - so the veggies don't go overboard on your sister's precious stove. I usually use 1-2 carrots, a fist size piece of cabbage, and the rest of the veggies don't amount to much. This will make enough for 4 people. We each eat for 1.5 people and there's almost always one serving left for next days' lunch.

As the veggies are frying, we prepare this broth, sort of. You take a bowl and add a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce, a couple of vinegar, a couple tablespoons of sugar, some water and I like to add the contents of those little envelopes that come with the noodles. Give it a good stir and pour everything over the veggies and let them cook at medium heat until the sauce has evaporated and they are a little moist.

At this point you can add things or not. As I mentioned before, fried or boiled eggs, leftover meat, cheese, whatever.


 {leftover lunch}

I did this last night but did not take photos during the cooking process because we were hungry and in a hurry to eat. It's nothing fancy and surely not complicated but it works for us.

* I made chocolate walnut cookies over the weekend and I always make a double batch and I freeze some and enjoy afterwards because cookies don't survive parties and I don't always get to eat as many as I want. When I don't want to wait for them to bake and cool, I just take one and chew on it until it gives and softens and it's as good as baked one.

No comments:

Post a Comment